Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas Nostalgia: A gift or a problem?

When December rolled around, I always looked forward to the sheet of paper that had Santa's face and beard on it with numbers from 1-25. It served as what we use an Advent calender for, because as each day progressed in December, I got to glue another cotton ball to Santa's face until Christmas day came around and his beard was full. That was fun. Decorating the tree with my parents. The nostalgia of unwrapping every ornament from every past year and experience, reflecting on the past, always anticipating the future Christmas day to come. It's the most wonderful time of the year, so many memories, what a gift...right?

As I have gotten older, living far away from my parents, away from the nostalgic practices that seemed to communicate that this really is "the most wonderful time of the year," has led me to say that Christmas doesn't have the same "buzz" as it used to. There isn't the same "child-like" excitement. That gift of memory seems to be less and not as apparent. Yet now, in my more mature and grown up state of mind, I look back at those great memories, and find myself with a disagreement in my head; what did I celebrate? What did I look forward too? What do most of us look forward to? How do we discern between the gift of Christ and the gift of family? Why are those that often argue to keep "Christ" in "Christmas," also the ones that have exalted family over Christ in fundamental practice.

Nostalgia keeps warm memories burning, fond emotions churning, and another life present. These things are gifts. As Christmas day approaches, as we anticipate all things theological in Advent longings, may we find a respectful balance between truth and nostalgia. May we continue to honor the past and yet be progressive in our faith towards the future, of which Christmas reminds us is merry and bright. A new kingdom is upon us, is breaking in, is realized through Jesus the Christ, our savior. May you reflect on your blessings, starting with the grace and mercy of a God that sacrificed everything so that we could in turn share that same love with our family, neighbor, and world. Merry Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home