Monday, November 5, 2012

Haiti: Day 6

Today was interesting. The power in Haiti goes in waves, so I will go out for a few hours at a time. That time was sometime around 3 or for last night so we were in our rooms without any fans. Therefore, it was about 80 degrees with humidity you could cut with a knife. Naturally, we were up early. I went up to the roof with Dave and we talked about how the psalms took on new meaning in this environment. In the midst of so much despair, in places where governments think they have power, our God makes the sun rise. We had this conversation as the sun rose over Port Au Prince.

We spent the day at Bernard Mevs hospital in attempts to help a friends mother get care, as well as another friends cousin and an entire family that lives in tent city. The chaos was so stressful and makes me never want to complain about American healthcare ever again. You have to fight your way to get registered, then get sent all over the complex for a variety of different things, with a receipt from everywhere.

I did get to be with Katie today as she worked as an OT ranging, transferring and splinting some men that had spinal cord injuries. It was neat to see her in her element, even though we were in a third world country.

At the end of our day, we had to stay goodbye to our new friends Stephane and Sheelove. I gave Stephane my electric razor and Sheelove a Sanctus shirt. I told Sheelove that I would teach him about God if he taught me creole. In return, Sheelove gave us a freehand drawing of Jovie and Stephane gave me a leather bracelet that he had made for me. They are such great kids with a dream to do big things. In this culture, they are people worth investing in for creating a better future not only for themselves and their families, but for Haiti as well.

Again, in a culture with so much despair, so much corruption, there are genuinely good people here in Haiti. We met so many of them, and I would love to continue these relationships over because people are worth love. It is easy to overlook this place, but when you put a face with the pain, we must choose to act. We can't save this place with a magic bullet, nor is it our job to save this place. Only God can redeem a people. I would love to be a part of Gods movement here, may I be so blessed to continue this journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home