Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Haiti: Final Day

I woke up to the coolest day of our trip. There was a breeze in the air. I was up at 5:30 so I went to the roof to watch the sunrise one last time. I muddled through similar thoughts that I had been having this whole trip, between having hope, being hope, and being patient to see and understand how God would bring hope to a nation, to a people, more specifically to those who were seeking God. What I have learned is that Americans can't bring change with them from a rich land but must be willing and patient to simply be a means of grace. I can't change anyone nor can my money or donations. Handouts have not helped this country, but have on one hand disabled it. There is a difference between being a gracious receiver and an expectant taker. Change can only come from the people, and we saw glimpses of people who want a better life, a better home. I'm still working through all of this and plan to continue these thoughts for some time to come.

After lacking our things, leaving most behind for others, we went to The kid's school to visit them there and say goodbye. It has been a blessing to get to know my nephew Andy and watch him just be a kid. It was sad to leave knowing that he has to endure the only life he's eve known without seeing his mom and dad. We can't wait until he's home in Boston.

We left the school, Katie and Jen in tears, picked up our bags at the orphanage, dropped off some supplies at the hospital and headed to the airport. Our flight was delayed an hour from Haiti, hen our bags took an hour to get to baggage claim in Miami, we missed our connecting flight, rebooked, got stuck in security for nearly another hour, and grabbed food just in time to walk onto our plane to Boston as the last passengers. Rough day. Long day.

Some staples that I was taught this trip is that kids are kids and teenagers act like teenagers regardless of name, race, ethnicity, and language. To watch the kids play and be kids, to see the same insecurities and the same goofiness and promise in the teenagers, and the same desire for adults to provide for their families and adults completely neglecting their families. It had been eye opening and I'm a different person for all of my experiences on this trip. As we return home, many things will be the same, but certain things will be forever changed as my lens of viewing life has slightly changed. I look forward to the many lessons that God will continue to show and reveal to me as this experience continues to unfold in my life.

Lord have mercy on us and on our newfound Haitian brothers and sisters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home