Friday, November 28, 2008

homosexuality...the moral dilemma of our era.

I was in conversation with a very respected mentor of mine this week and he brought up the issue of homosexuality and what recent Emergent Church leader Tony Jones had to say about it. When this topic comes around I almost go into a fight or flight mode, deciding to either engage this issue head on or simply not discuss it. I was challenged to think through this as a new church leader and theologically engage scripture as well as the cultural situation that we are currently in.
I believe fully in the love of God to cover sin by his grace. How this plays out is uncertain because God holds the only authority to judge his people's sins. With homosexuality, it concerns me how christians think that their God given right is to dispense the will of God on homosexuals and damn them for their 'abomination.' I could defend the homosexual in this instance but that is useless because I see hypocrisy in the judge at this point. A homosexual claiming christianity knows that their is an issue, i'm not sure if it is our responsibility to play God here. However, I do know that we are to discern right and wrong with our christian family, and the truth is that this needs to happen in a more diverse group of thought, rather than right and left wingers forming armies to defend and combat each other. In defending "God" i feel that many christians forfeit the message of God's love as well.
My intent is not to take scripture out of context but a Psalm 103 speaks of God's love better than I can say. "He does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him." If I'm to faithfully work through this I must heavily rely upon the guidance of the holy spirit in prayer; i must talk with other people about this issue because I don't want to rely solely on my own intellect; i must confront this issue with each person living the homosexual lifestyle because it's easy to point out a sin from a distance but if sin is given a face - if we must deal with this in a relational way, we will look at homosexuality different.

12 Comments:

Blogger Marcus said...

Levi,

Firstly, I miss you. Hope you and Mrs. Holland are loving life. Secondly, I think I pretty much concur with your assessment of homosexuality as an issue that needs more than left vs. right. However, I'm curious as to why in the title you labeled homosexuality as THE moral dilemma of our era. Would you care to elaborate? Do you mean the major dilemma in regards to cause for useless division and infighting within churches or do you mean that homosexuality is an issue that demands a response more than any other issue from churches? Or something totally different?

peace.

Marcus

November 28, 2008 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Levi said...

Marcus,
I titled this because homosexuality is the 'alcohol' dilemma the past. It is one of the most heated topics I can think of within the church. I do think it divides the church, which further exposes the weakness of our church structures as well as an issue that will always demand a response. What I'm saying is that its an issue of the church being faithful to the love of God rather than becoming the all-righteous judge of all who are different (primarily homosexuals). Does this make sense?

November 28, 2008 at 7:38 PM  
Blogger dave said...

i like the way you think dr holland.

you know we agree. i just wanted to let you know via comment. good stuff.

November 28, 2008 at 11:38 PM  
Blogger thepianist86 said...

hi, levi. i've been reading this blog since your wedding, and i don't think i've posted a comment yet. but here goes.

this is an issue that i think about a lot. it is an issue that i am currently facing. personally.
i have to be honest, at this point, i am considering leaving the church because i am so tired of the constant oxymoron that is my life. as someone who is both striving to resist homosexuality and very much longing to give into it, i am in the middle of the road on this. i honestly despise not only both extremes (liberal and conservative - pro-gay and anti-gay, if you will) but also the apathetic. i feel as if the church has a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. at the same time, i am told to pursue help. although groups like "love won out" strive to help "convert" homosexuals to heterosexuals, the fact is that many people who are considered "successes" are successful because they have chosen to live a celibate lifestyle rather than give in to the temptation.

i'm afraid that's where my thoughts are stopping just now. it isn't all of them, but my brain is telling me to go to bed, and since the sun is about to rise, i should retire to my coffin. tell katie i say hi, and i miss you both.

tim (keyboard guy from zion's wake. and your wedding ;) )

December 1, 2008 at 6:06 AM  
Blogger Levi said...

Tim,
I know who you are, you are a friend. The way you have approached this issue seriously informs my thinking everytime it is brought up. When ignorant people try to write off homosexuality as an abonination without even considering the person that is suffering, is when I get upset. You are right, the church has been awful, but as someone who is going to be serving in the church I want to start thinking through how the church can matter again to the homosexual community. Thank you for standing firm in your faith, you are an example to both Katie and I.
Thanks.

December 1, 2008 at 9:25 AM  
Blogger Marcus said...

I like what Tim said about the frustration with the extremes as well as the apathetic. But I also think we should consider this issue in relation and in context with other moral issues, perhaps issues that are just as serious but less conversed.

For instance, if a church takes a position that prohibits homosexual Christians from membership or leadership positions, should it also prohibit Christians who live extravagant lifestyles but give nothing to the poor (because the Bible certainly has more to say about wealth and poverty than homosexuality, and it seems to be a more widespread problem)?

peace.

December 1, 2008 at 9:36 AM  
Blogger dave said...

really thought provoking comments. tim, yours especially struck a nerve with me.

it really breaks my heart when i am made aware of the barriers to Christ that the "church" has placed in front of those who are hurting. if you don't fit the right mold, and can be categorized into a group that is especially marginalized, it appears that there is no place for you in the body of Christ. this is most definitely not true and i pray that anyone who struggles with being marginalized in this way is able to see Christ through the bs that is so often evident within the institutional church.

thanks for the post levi. this conversation needs to happen more frequently.

December 1, 2008 at 11:07 AM  
Blogger TDags said...

Levi - first of all, thanks for going out and shooting hoops with my son Luke. That meant a lot to him. And that's going to be my point: when you get out of school and into the ministry, you're really face-to-face with people more than with issues. And that's a good thing. You won't be grappling so much with the 'stuff' and don't let those on the extremes pull you into their thought patterns. Stick to the where the real work is done, with real people dealing with real issues, and all of the chaff gets burned up in the process. Not to say that the Truth gets side-tracked, but you see it in action when you're working with the hurting and discouraged. You see the true power of Christ.

And back to Luke - the fact that you're willing to go out and rebound for a 9-year old boy tells me that you'll be out there for the people who need you to be out there for them. On their level.

I'm not giving a "position statement" here on homosexuality - just a word of encouragement for a fellow laborer.

December 1, 2008 at 12:41 PM  
Blogger TDags said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 1, 2008 at 12:41 PM  
Blogger Levi said...

I'm glad we can talk, this is the most action my blog has seen in awhile outside dave. To address you Marcus, I think i see where your thought process is headed - first with questioning the title then mentioning the frequency in biblical reference to the problem. About the wealthy, yes, i agree with the extravagant lifesytle critique and do not believe it should be overlooked. Of course overlooked is an understatement because it becomes a question of politics, the rich are the people who fund the church. This is another issue all together. Maybe if you let me in on your blogsite I could read your thoughts (that's a hint to let me read your blog). ps, i miss you.

December 1, 2008 at 3:35 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

Hi Levi,

I'm not sure if you really know me (Katie does!) and I hope you don't mind me stumbling across your blog from Dave's blog site.

I just wanted to let you know that just tonight I was thinking about my struggle with this issue as well...I agree with your title that it is probably one of the toughest, most divisive issues the church is facing right now, and sometimes I feel lost in the debate.

I was glad to read your thoughts and comments and know that I am not alone. Great post.

January 8, 2009 at 7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Bible says God looks at all sins the same. Why is it we can condemn homosexuals to hell, but not obese people? Doesn't the Bible say gluttony is a sin too? That's all.

February 5, 2009 at 12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home