my disconnect...
Lately I have participated in many discussions about the church and why no one likes it anymore and yet we have to love it anyways. What I hear are criticisms, what I don't see much of is action, and this I am guilty of myself. However, I'm getting frustrated because what is the connection between saying something needs change, materializing that goal, and then actually doing it? Are we supposed to be like Shane Claiborne and move to the poverty stricken areas to bring more wholeness?...Can everyone do this. Hypothetically yes, but then what about your job, your livelihood, your family, your whatever keeps you stuck in the rut of everyday business that is impossible to avoid (you fill in the blank). Bills have to be paid here, money is due to this person on this day, are bills are late for pete's sake, where is the connection!? "First century church Levi," is what I hear sometimes, just how Jesus established it. Hmmm, simple answer, how does that work today?
Does it come down to the point of loving the church because Jesus considered himself one with the church, therefore to hate the church would essentially mean to hate Christ, similarly to someone hating your spouse or a family member and having to defend on behalf of their honor? Questions. If we want to live like the first century church then why are we buying/selling property, or have a savings account, should we not be living as if Jesus is coming back? Or do we not even think of Jesus coming back-bold statement I know but how often is that pondered? How often are we checking ourselves and making sure that we are living holy and blameless as Christ intended? "But Levi, are we not supposed to be good stewards of our money?" No, but do we hold our savings accounts in higher regards than studying the Word, in higher regards as far as time spent? Our priorities are where our time is spent...therefore we are either working to make money, working as we are entering into relationships with our coworkers for the sake of Christ (not just being aquaintences and being polite as good moral christians do), or we become hippies (dramatic I know).
The point of this entry is to vent my frustrations of everyone hating on the church, yet theories and complaining is all that gets done. And yet, I become angry often with the church, "with it's show" according to Jon Foreman. The problem and my own disconnect is, what would the church/what would Christ think of my committment, my dedication, my shortcomings-what If I was critiqued just as hard as I critique the church? There is my disconnect.
Does it come down to the point of loving the church because Jesus considered himself one with the church, therefore to hate the church would essentially mean to hate Christ, similarly to someone hating your spouse or a family member and having to defend on behalf of their honor? Questions. If we want to live like the first century church then why are we buying/selling property, or have a savings account, should we not be living as if Jesus is coming back? Or do we not even think of Jesus coming back-bold statement I know but how often is that pondered? How often are we checking ourselves and making sure that we are living holy and blameless as Christ intended? "But Levi, are we not supposed to be good stewards of our money?" No, but do we hold our savings accounts in higher regards than studying the Word, in higher regards as far as time spent? Our priorities are where our time is spent...therefore we are either working to make money, working as we are entering into relationships with our coworkers for the sake of Christ (not just being aquaintences and being polite as good moral christians do), or we become hippies (dramatic I know).
The point of this entry is to vent my frustrations of everyone hating on the church, yet theories and complaining is all that gets done. And yet, I become angry often with the church, "with it's show" according to Jon Foreman. The problem and my own disconnect is, what would the church/what would Christ think of my committment, my dedication, my shortcomings-what If I was critiqued just as hard as I critique the church? There is my disconnect.

1 Comments:
great stuff man. we can criticize the Church all we want, but until our lives are living up to the expectations that we have for the church, we are flapping our gums. i have found myself to be a hypocrite, but i have also found that the shortcomings within the Church have pointed out my own flaws.
great thoughts. PLEASE keep them coming!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home