Sunday, February 24, 2008

politiks

I recently had a 'discussion' about politics, one in which I didn't want to have, one which I could not avoid. I have not taken any position at this point but I am just questioning everyone's motives. I have been told that there really is no solid candidate out there: there's a liberal republican that no one trusts, a young idealist with no experience, and hillary clinton (enough said). What made this 'discussion' hard was that at what point do I have to correlate my beliefs as a Christian and my rights as an american? I cannot be anti-christian and vote purely on my needs only basis. I cannot become vote from a completely christian standpoint because WE DON'T live in a christian nation which would make that position impossible.

What it comes down to is making the best decision that I see fit as a Christian is not endorsing a person or party but making a difference with the resources I have. I could vote republican, but a republican president is not going to end abortion or nix homosexuality. I would have to embrace those hurting from the pain and sting of abortion and homosexuality and do the best I could as a Christian to love them. If I vote democrat, I have to realize that the poverty and homeless situation will not be solved by them receiving larger government checks and funds but that I have to take the initiative to serve my own community with a vision of hope.

IF the church acted as the church was supposed to be, poverty would not be an issue today because people would give out of their own resources....but, instead (from an american perspective, not worldwide) our capitalist society blinds us into thinking we deserve everthing we work for so why should I help my poor neighbor because if he or she really wanted a job they could hold it themselves. Animosity. On my part. So do I have a conclusion on my own political views...no, i hate politics. However, politics cannot be avoided, kinda like the plague. What my own assessment as a novice at this point leads me to believe is that I have to live as a Christian and not expect a person or a political party to change the world because it will always begin with the people...it will always begin with me. Peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger dave said...

amen and amen my friend. politics...what are they good for? yeah, you know where i stand. i do not put any hope or trust in this nation or any other nation of this world to bring about the "change" that this world is looking for. my annoyance is solely in the way Christians argue and engage in the political scene. i don't see it as being cohesive with kingdom teaching. oh well. it is what it is.

March 5, 2008 at 7:03 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

I was asked last week whether or not I would ever run for public office. I actually started laughing before I said no. I enjoy history and politics, but the compromise that politics necessitates leaves me uncomfortable. In the end, I said I couldn't be a politician because I was a Christian.

April 2, 2008 at 10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home