Friday, July 16, 2010

my love for superheroes

I have always been drawn to the drama of a superhero. As a kid, G.I. Joe’s were my toy of choice because I was able to create wild fantasies in which the good guys battled the bad guys and I was always able to construct a way for the good guys to win of course. When I was in control, the good guys would always win. I would draw superheroes, always dominant with a great sense of swagger. They always had the appearance of victory about them, because in my mind, they were the winners. I was and still am drawn to the ambiguous superhero movie. Early on (late 80’s and 90’s) these films had poor actors and even worse special effects, but I was captivated nonetheless because the fantasy of good versus evil was something I always got caught up in. My dream world was motivated by a glimpse to live heroically, seeking bigger than life adventure.

The sense of danger is something that creates fear as well as fuels adrenaline to, just maybe do something heroic. In my heroic worldview, I never took serious the story of God that we have been called into. This is a story of cataclysmic good versus evil, of apocalyptic victory and eschatological triumph. This story is far greater than any writer could script, or any Hollywood set could construct; this is the God of creation, the God of the universe, reaching out to us, passionately pursuing us as he has already began the process of redemption to humanity and this world. This is a story to get excited about, to live into, and to humbly acknowledge that we are a part and that we are under the reign of the greatest victor we could even imagine.

Death is a reality. Some of the good guys will perish. Many of the good guys will be corrupted by power. Yet some, those that live truly dedicated to the true king, one Lord, one God, are led to be victorious, not on their own merit, but by the favor/grace of their Lord, who is the image we are transformed into, in his likeness. This is a story to get excited about! This is the story that we are all participating in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home