"lording it over..."
I began reading a book, authored by a fellow colleague of mine from seminary titled, "the Sinai Experiment." This book discusses the ten commandments with concrete ways to live them out every day. I didn't get much further than the first chapter, when I became hung up on the opening line of the commandments, which says, "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land slavery." This pretense, this recollection of the past to inform and impact the present and future, is what we must continually acknowledge. The question that is posed is how we are shaped by rules, and especially how our actions are shaped by rules to understand right and wrong. Here we go.
Jesus gives us instruction that rules are not present for us to "lord over" each other. In fact, he uses such strong, emphatic language that he says, "IT MUST NOT BE THIS WAY AMONG YOU!(matt. 20:26). How does this translate into law? Government? Leadership? Parenthood? I am not a parent, but I am a pet owner. When Perry (our 2 1/2 year old weimaraner) is disobedient, he is corrected. I think Jesus is speaking of something a little different then simple rule reinforcement. I think YHWH had something else in mind when he gave Moses the ten commandments than just a list of rules to follow.
As leaders, we shape the lives of those around us. We are constantly changing, being influenced by every interaction we have with other people. The power of relationship is much more powerful than a law. Therefore, it is no wonder that Christ said that it should not be this way among us, that we would ever use the words of God as a weapon to exercise power, that we would take covenant language and act as if it was our power to direct and consume.
We serve a consuming fire of a God, and we serve him in obedience. Jesus went on to say that his words about to be the greatest we must become less, because true obedience to God is seen through obedience, not power plays; through a life that is witnessed by all to be life-giving, not self-preserving; through a life lived in devotion in the quiet places, where no one but God sees us. Pride is trying to destroy the kingdom, and as people following a passionate God, we must be humble, and be ever so careful "lord over" Gods word to push our own agenda. Have mercy.
Jesus gives us instruction that rules are not present for us to "lord over" each other. In fact, he uses such strong, emphatic language that he says, "IT MUST NOT BE THIS WAY AMONG YOU!(matt. 20:26). How does this translate into law? Government? Leadership? Parenthood? I am not a parent, but I am a pet owner. When Perry (our 2 1/2 year old weimaraner) is disobedient, he is corrected. I think Jesus is speaking of something a little different then simple rule reinforcement. I think YHWH had something else in mind when he gave Moses the ten commandments than just a list of rules to follow.
As leaders, we shape the lives of those around us. We are constantly changing, being influenced by every interaction we have with other people. The power of relationship is much more powerful than a law. Therefore, it is no wonder that Christ said that it should not be this way among us, that we would ever use the words of God as a weapon to exercise power, that we would take covenant language and act as if it was our power to direct and consume.
We serve a consuming fire of a God, and we serve him in obedience. Jesus went on to say that his words about to be the greatest we must become less, because true obedience to God is seen through obedience, not power plays; through a life that is witnessed by all to be life-giving, not self-preserving; through a life lived in devotion in the quiet places, where no one but God sees us. Pride is trying to destroy the kingdom, and as people following a passionate God, we must be humble, and be ever so careful "lord over" Gods word to push our own agenda. Have mercy.

2 Comments:
I like what you have balanced here. It's certainly difficult to submit ourselves to God's word instead of insisting on using it as a force against others. How often have I thought I knew what God's word was telling me to tell someone else, only to come to a very different conclusion later on in my life?
Keep it rolling, brother.
That is so right, Levi. I love Eph. 5:21...submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. Humility is key in all relationships. A great book on parenting that illustrates this beautifully is Shepherding a Child's Heart by Paul David Tripp. I wish I had this book when my kids were little. But better to learn late than never.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home