Selfies
Selfies have always amuzed me. As one integrated into a life of social media, they are seen frequently. Whether it is showing off fashion, where we are, what we are consuming, what we are desiring to be, the selfie attempts to capture that moment. People call them harmless and funny. I have seen this trend trickle into all aspects of the web and even in personal, real-life conversation. It's as if people need other people to know what they are doing, a way to personify "self." Ironic isn't it, that I use a blog to share this thought when that is in the same line of what I'm trying to articulate as speculative. Are we really starved for attention?
What is unnerving, and I have been a culprit in which I will admit to you now, is how we can post certain things that we just think other people want to and have to see! Do you want to see what coffee I drank this morning and how I made it? Thought so. Did you want to see the book I'm reading, or rather the book I want you to think I'm reading? Absolutely. Did you want to see how awesome I plated my meal today just so I could take a "foodie," a thing in which I never do unless I'm going to take a photo of it to share? Of course you did.
You see what I want you to see. You see the "me" I wish I was, and for a short time and a click I can capture. It's hard to be present anymore. To enjoy life for simply life, to be in the moment (have you ever been having a great moment, whipped out your phone to "capture" the moment just to understand that it has passed?).
False humility. Trying to be perceived as humble when the flip side is getting noticed or being considered notable. Forgive me for this.
These thoughts flow as an observation to a lenten practice this year, using my phone as a phone. Shocking right? When I arrive at home, my phone has a nice little bowl it stays in, only answered when it rings, like a phone. It has revealed my ridiculous dependency on "staying busy," not productive, but busy. It's an observation, please feel free to add your own.

2 Comments:
L,
I have read and re-read this a few times now and I have to say, I agree with the thought that went into it. I also believe that the “selfie” has been around for generations. What has changed is the way the selfie can be shared with the intended group. Polaroid introduced the instant camera in 1948 where as Kodak introduced the carousel slide projector in 1962, and Super-8 video in 1965. These, in my opinion, were the birth of the selfie. The dreaded visit to a friend or family members home where the screen would be set up and the vacation slides would begin. Fast forward to the days of Facebook, Snapchat, and Instagram and where the premise is the same but you chose who to follow and who follows you. The ability to share is now embraced by the masses. Your thoughts on false humility truly hit home with me. I have been guilty, on more than one occasion, of wondering why certain people haven’t liked my post or, why I didn’t get more likes in general. As far as “foodies” I’ve only done that once, and that was because my eggs and pancakes looked like a cat and well… Finally, I applaud you and your sacrifice of using your phone as a phone. That does mean that I will have to call you for wings next week rather than send you a text! In summary, thank you for the insight of your post. I have taken your words to heart and will strive to put more thought into how I conduct myself in the online world of vacation slides… Peace be with you…
S
S,
Thanks!, the the intent is not at all to cast judgment on anyone here. It is self reflective and an observation for myself. Judgment is cast when a "judge" knows both sides of an argument and says who's right or wrong. This is a reflection on moderation, rather than complete abstinence from or fully embracing a world of social media. Thanks for the history of "selfie," I think you are right:)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home