Thursday, February 5, 2009

Another Moral Dilemma...

A friend brought up the assumption that "homosexuality" is not the greatest moral dillema of this current time with the proposition that "wealth" was a better possibility. This will be the beginning of a dialogue.

What if wallstreet is the manifestation of 'mammon'? (aka wealth). The world runs on it and even Christians rely upon it. No one will be happy if the economic machine known as America collapses. What if? In a hypothetical conversation, it would be easy to see the hypocrisy found in the American Church. The issue is whether we can be introspective enough about this question to truly consider it.

Jesus said, ""No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth." (Matt. 6:24) To justify my opinion I would say, "I don't consider money a God, done." However, for something to be worshipped is to continually think about and praise, and I can't think of the last time I wasn't asking myself, "I don't make enough money; If I made more we could do more, etc." Practical, yes, we need money to survive in our society unless we choose the life of a wanderer. So are the options to be a faithful follower of Christ to become a hippy or hypocrite?

My take is that the church is full of hypocrites, but everyone thinks that, even the hypocrites think their are hypocrites in the church! The problem is that we are to comfortable with church, we are to "culturized" to even see the sin that we live in, systemically and willfully. The real problem is that WE DON'T CARE! We say we do, we have a few good deeds here and there, participate at the local shelter once in awhile, but do we LIVE it!? My opinion is that Jesus would be ashamed, completely ashamed at what "Christians" typically look like: one dimensional, shallow, and perverse...claiming the grace and glory of Christ and treating people like dirt flaunting our money and cars caring more about the flipping stock market than the Sunday sermon.

I don't care who you are and what you do, what God are you truly serving. I know I'm not serving the God I claim as Christ nearly enough. Gut check for me.

"Please be faithful even though I am unfaithful." That is my prayer and my only hope.

2 Comments:

Blogger dave said...

intense stuff brotha!

my feelings are as follows...i don't really think either of these (treatment of homosexuals or seeking after wealth) is worse than the other. both are antithetical to Christ's character and teaching. both are signs of hypocrisy, which as we all know is something God wants us to steer clear from.

i'm pretty sure Christ was doing us a favor when he told us to serve God rather than wealth. wealth is one of the world's biggest forms of bondage and the Creator represents the only chance at freedom that this world has. Jesus was telling us to walk away from the pull of wealth because it only keeps us bound to things that don't matter.

it can sound burdensome when we believe that any thought about money is wrong. we have to think about it and we have to provide for our families. i'm sure there is no argument there.

the church has done more than think about it. the church has sought to conduct itself as a business and for this, God will make things right.

i appreciate your passion bro. it can be quite frustrating to see Christ's name associated with bigotry and wall street. keep representing the true kingdom my friend.

-dave-

February 6, 2009 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger Levi said...

I knew you' agree with me dave, but then why do we work? We can say we are "in the mission field," but if we are honest with ourselves, we are just trying to make a paycheck and our "mission" is secondary. no?

February 6, 2009 at 10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home