Resolute
My wife and I have a joint resolution this year. Not only is it a resolution, it is what we hope becomes a new mindset and lifestyle. It is not about our image, but about our perception of the created world that we have been entrusted. Being green is more than a fad, it is a lifestyle change. It is a slowing down of our consuming habits; it involves intentional planning and deliberate execution. We have been buying organic food (after two weeks I will say is much better). If God has shown mercy to us, we too must show mercy to those who work hard to provide us with a product, and pay attention to what we are putting into our bodies, what is being put into the ground, and how our food has been prepared. This is not fast, it is not efficient, it is not cheap, but we think it is responsible.
I posted a face book message that stated, "ethical dilemma on how i feed the cycle of oppression in this country..." Our fast paced lifestyles and recession have caused us to consume the most at the cheapest price without even reflecting on what we are doing. We have become so consumed with our autonomous self, that we must literally stop to see the colors around us. Since I am enabled by the Spirit through the Church, I confess that I struggle with this. I understand that organic food is ridiculously overpriced, and that fair trade can be double price of its equal value brand. Our economy flows out of the generosity of God. I fall short, but I wanted to share the beginning of the journey. Peace.
I posted a face book message that stated, "ethical dilemma on how i feed the cycle of oppression in this country..." Our fast paced lifestyles and recession have caused us to consume the most at the cheapest price without even reflecting on what we are doing. We have become so consumed with our autonomous self, that we must literally stop to see the colors around us. Since I am enabled by the Spirit through the Church, I confess that I struggle with this. I understand that organic food is ridiculously overpriced, and that fair trade can be double price of its equal value brand. Our economy flows out of the generosity of God. I fall short, but I wanted to share the beginning of the journey. Peace.

3 Comments:
Isn't it so frustrating (sometimes)that the best choice comes with the most resistance, in even areas such as taking care of our environment. A GREAT resolution!
It really is. I have a friend that I work with that talks directly with "organic farmers." This lady said that they sell their product to the store for "cents" more, and it costs so much more. Then, we get mocked or scoffed at, called hippies and tree huggers, for trying to take care of the earth, the local farmer and ourselves. It makes zero sense.
I like this. (Blogger should add a button like Facebook)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home