It takes time...
The number one thing I have been told in ministry is that it takes time to develop relationships. The number thing I have learned from experience in ministry is that it takes time to develop relationships. The number one thing that frustrates me in ministry...is that it takes time to develop relationships! The month of January is month number six in Syracuse and I am only now beginning to feel comfortable in my ministry setting, around the people I worship and minister with and to, and with my office routine. Six months! The best thing is that we have nowhere near scratched the surface of the friendships that are developing, the ministry that is happening, and the worship that is inviting us into the Presence.
Why do we long for relationships? Why does it take so long for them to develop? In my opinion, we develop relationships so that we can become vulnerable with others. We long for vulnerability because this world is dangerous and has taught us that it will violate and exploit the best we all have to offer if we aren't careful. We long for relationships because with the gift of time, we realize that there is another kingdom at hand that wants us to be vulnerable together, that wants us to share the joys and sorrows of life, that longs for brokenness together. In our brokenness we see the strength of our savior. In our weakness, we are given the opportunity to watch the Holy interact with the imperfect; the Perfect with the imperfect; the Healer with the broken. In vulnerability, we can confess to each other that we don't have it all together, and it's ok. In vulnerability we can come to one another to vent, to simply unload on someone without judgment but in confidence that we will still be loved...because the world tells us we are failures, unloveable, imperfect, not efficient enough, etc. We long for relationships, I pray for the continuation of this process, no matter how much it stings, stretches, and hurts. Lifehouse says it best in their song "Broken:"
I'm falling apart
I'm barely breathing
With a broken heart
That's still beating
In the pain
There is healing
In your name
I find meaning
So I'm holding on
Why do we long for relationships? Why does it take so long for them to develop? In my opinion, we develop relationships so that we can become vulnerable with others. We long for vulnerability because this world is dangerous and has taught us that it will violate and exploit the best we all have to offer if we aren't careful. We long for relationships because with the gift of time, we realize that there is another kingdom at hand that wants us to be vulnerable together, that wants us to share the joys and sorrows of life, that longs for brokenness together. In our brokenness we see the strength of our savior. In our weakness, we are given the opportunity to watch the Holy interact with the imperfect; the Perfect with the imperfect; the Healer with the broken. In vulnerability, we can confess to each other that we don't have it all together, and it's ok. In vulnerability we can come to one another to vent, to simply unload on someone without judgment but in confidence that we will still be loved...because the world tells us we are failures, unloveable, imperfect, not efficient enough, etc. We long for relationships, I pray for the continuation of this process, no matter how much it stings, stretches, and hurts. Lifehouse says it best in their song "Broken:"
I'm falling apart
I'm barely breathing
With a broken heart
That's still beating
In the pain
There is healing
In your name
I find meaning
So I'm holding on

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home